Gucci to present menswear and womenswear in one runway show
It looks like Alessandro Michele's gender fluid direction will be even more apparent
From next year onwards, Gucci will no longer hold separate shows for its men's and women's collections, but will present both together in a single runway show, twice a year.
"Moving to one show each season will significantly help to simplify many aspects of our business," Gucci CEO Marco Bizzarri said at The New York Times International Luxury conference in Versailles on Tuesday. "Maintaining two separate, disconnected calendars has been a result of tradition rather than practicality."
Burberry and Tom Ford announced earlier this year that starting September 2016, they will combine both men's and women's collections. However, while they will make their 'season-less' collections immediately available after showing on the runway, Gucci plans to maintain the traditional sell-later production style.
"It seems only natural to me to present my men's and women's collections together. It's the way I see the world today," creative director Alessandro Michele said in a statement. "It will not necessarily be an easy path and will certainly present some challenges, but I believe it will give me the chance to move towards a different kind of approach to my storytelling."
Related: Gucci goes to the birdhouse for its Pre-Fall 2016 campaign
Related: Alessandro Michele and David Bowie to be honoured at the CFDA Awards
Related: Gucci confirms it will show Cruise 2017 at Westminster Abbey