How to start your luxury watch collection
You want to buy your first watch, but where do you start?
The Hour Glass Malaysian general manager Teh Soon Kheng tells us how to begin growing your collection.
1. "Don't make spontaneous decisions. Impulse purchases are not wise, especially for big ticket items. Do your research – look at forums, blogs and websites, talk to sales associates in stores and ask any experts within your own circle. When you've done your research, do a little more."
2. "Keep a budget in mind and stick to it."
3. "Ask yourself: 'What do I want it to represent? When will I wear it? Will I ever wear it?'"
4. "Swiss brands are a good place to start for beginner collectors. German brands have been interesting lately too."
5. "Pinnacle watch brands such as Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and Hublot have their followings among serious collectors, but keep your mind open and don't ignore brands from the Richemont, Swatch and LVMH Groups. Independent labels such as MB&F and Urwerk have also found their niche."
This article first appeared in the August 2017 issue of ELLE Malaysia.