21 questions with Shikin Gomez, Asia's Next Top Model Season 5 contestant
This KL Fashion Week regular talks about her favourite Malaysian sweets, Beyoncé and how she's often mistaken as unfriendly
Told my mom about the article saying I'm from teluk intan, she laughed. Tak lawak okay ma. 😒— Fried Shikin (@shikingomez) February 10, 2017
2. How did you get into modelling?
It started out as a hobby and helping friends with their assignments, but I eventually started pursuing it as a career.
3. Did participating in the Malaysia Supermodel Search in 2015 prep you in any way for Asia's Next Top Model?
It did, in that I know the emotions and all the drama is real. So, for ASNTM, I was emotionally prepared – all I had to worry about this time was my modelling and how I was going to portray my true self for the whole world to see.
4. Favourite shoot so far, outside of Asia's Next Top Model?
I really enjoy all kinds of test shoots but since I'm very experimental and love pushing myself to the limit, I love shoots that make me feel like "I don't know how to feel, but I like it."
5. Biggest modelling/fashion influence?
Probably Victoria Beckham because she's Posh Spice, a wife, a mum, a business mogul and just an all-round amazing woman – she's like the fashion industry's Wonder Woman.
6. When you're not modelling, what do you do in your free time?
I'll either be at home, unwinding and playing with my fur babies or out having coffee and chilling with friends and family.
7. Most common misconception about you?
That I'm an unfriendly person. I sometimes do have an uptight look but that's just my resting face – I'm really nice, I swear!
8. One thing people would be surprised to learn about you?
I enjoy driving, going on adventures and discovering new places to eat or have a holiday. I also enjoy cooking and I'm a perfectionist, which makes me a fierce competitor.
9. Where can we find you on the weekends in KL?
I'd either be strutting down a runway, posing in photo shoots or sitting in a quiet cafe with some loud friends.
10. Favourite Malaysian dish?
Where do I even begin? Being of Malay and Indian heritage, I can say that both races have the best dishes – from your requisite nasi lemak to crab curry. And the sweet treats – laddoo, appam, kuih binka and seri muka!
11. Dream vacation?
Soaking up the sun on a yacht in Greece. #beachlife
12. Who do you fangirl over?
Queen Bey! She's so perfect, it's crazy. I would probably die if I saw her perform live.
14. Short hair or long hair?
Short hair! Save water! Showers are cut in half!
15. One fashion trend you think should stop?
Chokers with every outfit. It's an accessory that's supposed to fit a certain look but when it's paired with everything, it just seems a little tacky.
16. Last item you added to your wardrobe?
Combat boots I got from a thrift shop in Gombak.
18. Best piece of advice you've ever received?
My sister told me, "No one told you what to do or to pursue modelling; that has always been you telling yourself that you can do it, so keep doing that."
19. Did you watch past seasons of Asia's Next Top Model or any of the Top Model series and do you have a favourite contestant/season?
I was a fan of the original series, America's Next Top Model, and I did have a few favourites from all the cycles, such as Nyle DiMarco (S22) and Mamé Adjei (S22). From Asia's Next Top Model, Monika Sta Maria (S3) and Tuti (S4) are my favourites.
20. Advice for others who want to pursue modeling or try out for Asia's Next Top Model?
Be prepared, mentally and physically. Being a model is not as glitzy and glamorous as people think. Be prepared to be kicked down and pushed over but also remember to pick yourself up, no matter what challenges you face.
21. What's one thing you're most excited for people to see on this season of Asia's Next Top Model?
I'm excited for people to see how this competition has changed me and made me a better model. Also, there are many moments with us just goofing around, so comedy's a big part of it too.
Watch Shikin compete in the fifth season of Asia's Next Top Model, which premieres on StarWorld (Astro channel 711 and 722 HD) on 5 April 2017.