Snapchat makes Spectacles that take Snaps for you
We can now take Snaps from our vantage points without using our phones
Social media mobile application Snapchat is entering the accessories market in a big way with a pair of glasses, called the Spectacles. They're reminiscent of Google Glass, but certain experts are expressing more confidence in Spectacles than in Google Glass. Here are a few key points to know about the new kid in the wearable technology playground:
- It will cost $129.99 (approx. RM540).
- It comes in three colours so far – coral, teal and black.
- It charges in the case it comes in.
- It can take one day's worth of Snaps on a single charge.
- It takes circular videos that "play full screen on any device, in any orientation, and captures the human perspective with a 115 degree field of view."
- Recordings are activated with the tap of a button on the top left-hand corner of the glasses.
- It allows wearers to wirelessly add their snaps to Memories on Snapchat immediately (via WiFi and Bluetooth for iOS users and WiFi for Android).
- A light will switch on to indicate to others that you are recording.
- Video recording goes up to 30 seconds long.
According to Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel, the Spectacles are meant to allow people to record their memories without "holding [their] phones up like a wall in front of [their faces]." He actually even calls them a "toy" that is meant to be just for "fun."
Release dates and locations for the Spectacles have yet to be announced as of time of writing.
Oh, and one last thing: Snapchat, the company, has changed its name to Snap Inc., to allow Snapchat (the app) and Spectacles to be searched for and referred to as products.
post a comment