Sandra Bullock advises high school graduates
The Oscar-winning actress makes a surprise appearance at the Warren Easton Charter High School commencement ceremony
The new graduates of Warren Easton Charter High School were in for one heck of a ceremony on Monday, 19 May. Sandra Bullock surprised them by first, you know, being there, and then sharing some wisdom with them.
The 49-year-old gave what probably is the speech we all wish we could have heard at our own graduation day. Let alone the graduating students, everyone can benefit from Sandra's wise words. Here are our five favourite quotes from her speech:
1. "Stop worrying so much, okay? Stop being scared of the unknown, because anything I worried about didn't happen."
2. "Nothing is a failure. It's just not supposed to work out that way because something better is supposed to come along."
3. "Eat something green every day with every meal. (Because even us adults admit we forget to eat our greens.)"
4. "When someone who cares about you hugs you, hug them back with two arms."
5. "Go find your joy. Whatever that is, go find your joy. Are you going to have a good day or are you going to have a great day, because it's completely up to you."
The Gravity actress has long been a supporter of the high school, which had closed from 2005 to 2006 after it was damaged by Hurricane Katrina that left New Orleans and a number of American states devastated. Praising the students, she also thanked them for inspiring her to "walk out into the world with pride." And, because Sandra will always be Sandra, she slipped in advice about not picking our noses in public.