NARS x Steven Klein: Fantascene
NARS collaborates with Steven Klein for a smashing holiday collection. It's going to be cult, we're buying at least half the collection and so are you
NARS has just unleashed their latest makeup collaboration since the Christopher Kane collection. This time, it's with legendary photographer Steven Klein, and it's been marked with max levels hype and fanfare.
First, there was the "sickest party of the year" at a mansion in Yonkers, NY, where gun-strapped models pimped the products. Months of whispers and excitement followed, and all for a very good reason: the collection is decadently, sublimely fantastic.
“Steven is one of the most disruptive, fearless photographers of his time. I love his work– his ability to strip down and expose his subjects, to create shocking visual narratives that are never what they seem,” says François Nars. Klein is equally chuffed to be collaborating with Nars. "I am honored to be asked by François to collaborate on this NARS project with him, based on the previous artists he had worked with - Andy Warhol and Guy Bourdin." says Klein. “There are few hands that could do what François Nars has done. He has impeccable taste and stands strong by his work. His colors and his eye for imagery is unique and of the highest caliber.”
They're calling it the Fantascene collection, 23 products with entirely new shades and formulas exclusive to the line. The tag lines are 'make a scene', 'refashion reality' and 'live your fantasy' (we wouldn't expect anything less from a Steven Klein vessel), and the sets in the collection are adorned with gorgeous packaging that screams all three.
We've got the product rundown, and every other bit you need to know.
First, the gifting sets
1. Dead of Summer - four killer dual intensity eyeshadows in one bronzy, smokey palette.
2. Humoresque – five to-die-for Audacious lipstick hues in mini tubes.
3. An Abnormal Female – a triple-threat of Velvet Matte lip pencils in a golden lipstick bullet missile
4. Magnificent Obsession – a super cool red lip set with liner, lippie and lip pencil
5. A Woman's Face – like the red set, except in champagne beige
6. Despair – palette time! A cheek colour combo of apricot, coral and rose pink hues
7. Full Service- a total package of their best and most iconic kabuki brushes for the whole face
8. Tearjerker – two pencil liners in emerald and sapphire and the new Audacious mascara
And the rest
Single product releases in spot-on hues, we love the Nail Polish in Night Creature, a semi-punk semi-candy metallic purple, the deep, deep red gloss in Special Force, the shimmery nude lippie that gives off just the right amount of pigment vs shine, and the bronzy, highlighty Dual intensity Blush.
Left to right, top to bottom: Dual intensity Blush in Vengeful; Killer Lip Sine Gloss in Fast Life, Provoke and Special Force; Single Eyeshadow in Mortal, Stud and Never Too Late; Nail Polish in Hard to Get, Night Creature and Black Fire; Killer Shine Lipstick in Redemption, No Shame and Besame Mucho.