MAC Viva Glam x Ariana Grande
Ariana talks about her collaboration with MAC and we lay down the law for nailing dark lipstick
Q&A with Ariana Grande
What was your first encounter with MAC?
When I was eight years old I was playing Annie in a play and my mom took me to the MAC counter to start my makeup kit. We bought grey eye shadow to use as ash on my face!
Why is it important to be vocal about your work with the MAC AIDS Fund?
Not enough people are talking about it. MAC helps people recognize their differences and that it is okay to speak out about these kinds of things. MAC and I have the same values, we both want equality in this world. It's guilt free shopping; buy a lipstick, save a life.
What was it like working with MAC?
It's a dream come true! I got to pitch them my ideas for colors and they loved it. I am proud of being a part of the MAC family. I am in such great company. I want people to remember how I made them feel. That they made a donation and it went a long way.
What is your usual beauty go-to look?
Brown shimmery smoky eye, nude lipgloss – I do these with or without a cat eye! Lately I'm trying more of smoky eye.
Do you have a pre and post-performance beauty ritual?
I always keep my perfume near me, especially in my quick-change booth on stage.
5 dark lipstick DON'Ts
A dark lip can be a great, strong look, but it needs to be applied with an extra degree of care. Here are our five tips to keep the look fresh, modern and Ariana Grande-worthy.
1. Don't load up on the rest of your face. Piling on dark eye makeup and cakey foundation PLUS dark lipstick will overload your face - there'll be too many elements competing for attention, when you want the focus to be on your lips. Keep the rest of your face to a minimum; fresh skin and a lick of mascara is plenty.
2. Don't apply it straight from the tube in dim lighting. Dark lipstick can smudge and look messy very easily, so use a lip brush and a magnifying mirror in proper light for precise application.
3. Don't apply it on chapped, dry lips. Dark lipstick tends to collect around dry patches and make them more obvious, so exfoliate lips beforehand (if you don't have a lip scrub handy, a gentle rub with a toothbrush will do).
4. Don't leave your eyes completely bare. Wearing an outstanding burgundy shade on the lips can take centre stage, making your eyes look small or droopy. Think defined brows, clean liner and a good coat of mascara.
5. Don't forget to check your teeth! Dark lipstick can really rub off on your teeth, so always check in a mirror or end up looking like a kid who's just messed with their mum's makeup.
Head to MAC stores to buy the deep plum lipstick and the shimmery pink gloss, each for RM74. All proceeds go to the MAC Aids Fund.